View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Default Grading Pre-WW2 cards

Posted By: steve

Thank you all very much for the detailed and informative replies. A lot of interesting food for thought.

Julie - terrific information and guidance - thank you! Yes about the cleaning I was always told never to remove the wax from a card. That would ruin the card's value - but it seems as though it does not. I imagine though that PSA would grade a card with removed wax as some sort of surface wear. For those who submit cards to PSA that look like 9's and come back 6 or 7's, I have a feeling that wax removal and the surface effect from it may result in the reason for those lower grades.
Warshawlaw - enlightening information especially on those phony PSA cards - thank you! Yes you're right, this forum has been very clear on these substandard grading companies such as Pro. Good advice about ebay which I had not considered.
David - I checked out your website and very much look forward to buying your book "Judging the Authenticity of Early American Trading Cards." I completely understand how hard it is to write a book - I have one coming out that will be published in about three or four months. Sports related but not card related. I appreciate the tips - thank you!