View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default I have no idea what this means

Posted By: warshawlaw

<<In a world where every product is over sold I’m real surprised you guys are shocked or upset by this>>

I'm not shocked or upset, I'm amused and poking fun at it all. Of course no one says "this card blows" when they are selling it, nor would I expect them to (Like Sy Berger (is that his name?) once said about writing all the copy on the backs of Topps cards, you can't just say "this guy stinks"); I was just (trying to) poke fun at some very silly, confusing and overly florid descriptions in a catalogue. I mean, does a Plank really need to be gussied up with highfalutin' terms like "gestalt" to sell?

I will say this: the result of having all the crap in the descriptions is that it obscured the relevant details of the cards. I had to read the description on the Zeenuts lot a couple of times before I realized that they were not ex-mt DiMags (It doesn't show in the post I made but the grades are emphasized in the listing) but were taped back DiMags that otherwise graded ex-mt. If I, as a person who writes for a living, had trouble deciphering the listing, it is very likely misleading, and that is a problem in an auction catalogue.