View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default The Magie - Doyle Error vs Variation Caper

Posted By: Hankron

The answer is simple.

1) There is a variation to a card if there are slight differences when looking at different examples of this card. For example, one card might have a different font or case for a line of text. Or one card the player’s emblem is airbrushed out while on the other it appears.

2) An error is an error. Magee spelled his name 'M-A-G-E-E.' Whether it's on his math homework, job application or on a baseball card, spelling his name 'M-A-G-I-E’ is an error. An error is not determined by whether or not it was corrected or, if the card is changed by the printers, the sequence of change (error the correction, correct the error).

3) If there is an error and a correct version (such as with Magee/Magie), the error is both an error and a variation. The correct version is a variation but not an error.

4) One way or the other, the Doyle card has variations (obviously, one rarer than the other). Though I am merely offering my interpretation and others are welcome to disagree, I have never seen either of the Doyle variations as an error, or at least not as an obvious error. Each is just different from the other.