View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Default The Magie - Doyle Error vs Variation Caper

Posted By: Joe P

Joe P.

Jay why is it? December 11 2003, 6:38 AM

That the Magie name spelling error is called an error, and some call The Slow Joe Doyle league designation error a variation?

Joe P.
-------------------------------------------------------Jay behrens

Re: Jay why is it? December 12 2003, 1:27 AM

I think most likely goes back to the days of Burdick and the original collectors. They weren't so hung up on symantecs, so error and variation essentially meant the same thing. Technically, the card is a variation, but from the time I got into the hobby in 1980, it was always called an error.

Jay
------------------------------------------------------
runscott

Technically, the "Magie" card is an "Error" December 12 2003, 1:24 PM

If an error is discovered and the problem is corrected, then the original issue is an error.

A variation is when multiple versions of the same card exist, and none are incorrect. This isn't a matter of semantics, but rather a use of the correct descriptors.
-------------------------------------------------------
Fellow collectors thank you for your take, thoughts and response to the question.
Please allow me to give you my take.

As I understand it, a variation is usually the results of a color misstep during the printing process, like the Sweeney in the T206 with or without the "B".
Or the adjusted change of team emblem on the T207 Paddy Livingston card.

Now the Magie and Slow Joe Doyle cards, are definitely
man created errors.
1. One, in the spelling of the name.
2. The other, in confusing the Slow Joe Doyle card, a pitcher with the New York Highlanders with Larry Doyle an infielder of the New York Giants. ..... thus the Nat'l League error.

Folks, as a youngster during the mid 1940's I got to learn how to set type, and use an old printing press in a school.
The operations of that old monster scared the hell out of me, but it was interesting.
Setting type, and correcting it once it's discovered that there's an error, doesn't take that much time.

Due to the scarcity, I surmise that The Doyle error must have been discovered real quick.
What really gets me is why didn't they correct the League desination to N.Y. Amer.?

Is there a Doyle card out there with N.Y. Amer.?

Tune in tomorrow, same time, same station.
For the adventures of "The Monster."

(tobacco-r-us)