View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default WHY DO PEOPLE COLLECT 19th CENTURY?

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

of cards...........started buying/selling in 1983 or so and bought a lot of wax cards/sets/singles/etc. After realizing that that was washed up in the early 1990's, I went into autographs (hence my email address) and after those became fraught with peril, I moved to vintage cards.

Nothing better than looking at Old Judge cabinets or vintage cards like E-Caramel cards. While I do still have a lot of sets from the 1970's/1980's, there's just not the rush of getting a new Louisville Old Judge pose that I don't have. I can't compare that to picking up an 89 Upper Deck set because it's not comparable.

I guess to some people, completing a 1970 set in PSA9 is a real challenge, but I just can't see paying $20-$30 for a common card when there's 700 of them to complete a set. For $100 I can get a couple nice E90-1 American Caramel commons or a low-to-mid grade Old Judge card.

I REALLY don't understand someone buying graded brand new cards paying 1000's of bucks for them because they are basically a dime a dozen. Granted population reports may say that there's a small census of 10's but there's still so much wax on some of this stuff that no one can be really INVESTING in that stuff.......

But that's why there's so many different things people can collect. I also collect bats, baseball pens, bat banks, etc. There's probably few people here that don't collect more than one type of things......vintage photos, cards, bats, gloves, etc. Everyone sets their own investing targets or just based on their own likes and dislikes.