View Single Post
Old 10-31-2003, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Default Why is shill bidding so bad?

Posted By: runscott

just because you are so proud of yourself.

<<You know me better than that.>> I don't know you at all, but I do know Cy.

<<I am not shooting at Cy's moral values, per se.>> Go back and re-read your post - you did actually shoot at his morals...per se

<<As I said, I think (hope) that he was simply trying to raise the question in an intellectual sort of manner.>> Good job - you got one right. The problem is that it was so difficult for you to figure that out.

<<I absolutely disagree with you, however, when you try to equate bidder "collusion" with fraud. They aren't nearly the same. You know that.>> 'similar' Kenny, 'similar'. What do I know? How do YOU, the omnipotent Kenny know what anyone else knows?

<<One is illegal, one isn't.>> So what? Cy's question is about ethics, not legality. Please, when someone talks to you, listen before responding, even if it's a virtual conversation.

<<Sellers might not like it that friends choose not to bid on an item because another friend wants it, but that's life. Can you honestly tell me that you've never done that? I very seriously doubt it.>> Gee, Kenny - this sounds like another assumption that the omnipotent Kenny Cole is making about someone else. You seem to be assuming that just because you have character flaws that everyone else has the same ones. Life doesn't work that way, Kenny.

<<Surely you aren't arguing that the two are the same.>> I used the word 'similar' Kenny - get out your dictionary. A cheap paperback will do the trick.

<<The entire thesis of the question was whether allowing a buddy to get a card (i.e., not bidding it up) was as bad as shilling it up. My answer is absolutely not. Is your answer different?>> No, Kenny, that wasn't the thesis of the question. There are many types of collusion - all have been discussed in this thread. Again, the word 'similar'.

<<In my view, you cannot equate shill bidding, which is intended to deceive, with agreeing not to go after a card which you and several other people want. If you disagree, that's fine. However, I'm not quite sure what your rationale would be for that assertion. Please explain it to me so that I can understand.>> No amount of explanation of anything would help YOU understand. You have your own opinion and everyone else is both wrong, and unworthy of having their own. You have made this clear to everyone who has responded to any of your posts. Do you need anything else from me, Kenny? If not, I'll go back to responding to other board members who give a flip about the opinions of others.