View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Default Why is shill bidding so bad?

Posted By: Kenny Cole

You know me better than that. I am not shooting at Cy's moral values, per se. As I said, I think (hope) that he was simply trying to raise the question in an intellectual sort of manner. I absolutely disagree with you, however, when you try to equate bidder "collusion" with fraud. They aren't nearly the same. You know that. One is illegal, one isn't. Sellers might not like it that friends choose not to bid on an item because another friend wants it, but that's life. Can you honestly tell me that you've never done that? I very seriously doubt it.

Surely you aren't arguing that the two are the same. The entire thesis of the question was whether allowing a buddy to get a card (i.e., not bidding it up) was as bad as shilling it up. My answer is absolutely not. Is your answer different?

In my view, you cannot equate shill bidding, which is intended to deceive, with agreeing not to go after a card which you and several other people want. If you disagree, that's fine. However, I'm not quite sure what your rationale would be for that assertion. Please explain it to me so that I can understand.