View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default Why is shill bidding so bad?

Posted By: Jeff S

I agree that collusion to keep bidding down is unacceptable. However, it is worth noting that much of the bidding discussion on this board actually creates bidders -- that is, if I want 33% of a lot, and I solicit partners who want another 33%, and so on, then people who otherwise may not bid on a lot become part of the action, thus possibly driving the bidding up further. Even if some of the people who are partnering to win the bid might bid on their own, the amount the group bids is probably greater than the amount an individual would, because the group is specifically interested in more individual cards in the lot.

Also, from a practical perspective, I would almost rather people talked about my auctions and made comments that reeked of collusion, because it gives me free publicity, and usually the people whose friends tell them not to bid wouldn't bid anyway. I have no idea whether others feel the same way.

Again, I don't support or encourage explicit bidding collusion, and as far as I know, have never engaged in it...just throwing a couple of ideas out there.