View Single Post
Old 07-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Why Yahoo was always be minor league

Posted By: TBob

It really is a shame there is not a competitor to eBay which would make them more responsible and consumer friendly. I had hopes Yahoo would be that competitor but Yahoo is a joke. I bid on a couple of Ty Cobb cards from a seller with no feedback who just signed up. After assuring myself the cards appeared legit (with a little help from my friends, as Ringo used to say) I bid. As the auctions wound down to the final minutes, the seller cancelled the bids and closed the auction. If this happened on eBay, you would suspect someone made the seller an offer he couldn't refuse. But here, it was just a closing because, I guess, the price wasn't high enough. He then "blacklisted" everyone who bid in the 2 auctions from bidding on his stuff on Yahoo. How weird is that??? I emailed Yahoo to ask them about it and was informed that if the seller has problems with a buyer, the buyer can be "blacklisted." End of story. Huh? No one even bought these cards. Too strange. Plus on Yahoo you can not communicate with the seller during the auction to ask about return policies, if the card has any creases, what the backs look like (no scans of those), etc. A really poor way to do business.
The vintage card section on Yahoo is replete with frauds and fakes, but every now and then I have found a legit seller like bullmuse who makes it worth while because the rest are such squirrels and no one likes to use the Yahoo auctions.
Oh well, I guess I can continue to bitch about eBay but it is the only saloon in town...