Thread: Untitled
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Anthony

Dan, I think what he means is that his dad owns the same card, just not this particular card, so he put a bid in on it hoping to get it if everyone was sleeping. I am the person that Marty told he was going to put it up. I've been interested in the Rice Stix for a couple of years, since Marty won a set in a Mastro that I missed.As he had sold the Dizzy and still had the Daffy he let me know it was going up. AT NO TIME did he ever ask me to place a bid or shill it up. When I first got back into the hobby after a 20 year absence he was one of the few dealers at the Hollywood Park show that took the time to explain what had happened in the hobby in the time in between. Like many other sellers I've had the good fortune to have met I've found him to be honest and helpful, even if I wasn't spending money with him.
The Rice Stix are, in my opinion, a neat little set from my favorite era in baseball. The Gashouse gang is a team I really wish I had had the chance to see, along with the original Orioles. I just wish this set had a few more of them (Durocher, Frisch, Medwick, Martin, et al) in it. I believe Leon picked one of these up and posted a scan on the old Full Count board, and the set was discussed then as well.