View Single Post
Old 04-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Lipset's Auction Results - High or Low?

Posted By: warshawlaw

Lot 194 especially--was the whole set 83 including Ruth and Gehrig pose variations and it went for only $825. I've seen Ruth alone pull $500 and not in ex+ condition either (although out of an abundance of caution I'd have to assume that the card is really about vg-ex). The break value on that lot is a heck of a lot more.

I suspect that some lots with an aggregation of materials maybe turned off some bidders by asking too much money for too much chaff. Lot 280 is a perfect example. It had 206 different 1920's exhibit boxing cards and sold for $1612, which represents only 5 bids and around $8.60 a card with the vig thrown in. That's pretty low given the presence of dozens of cards in the group that sell for $20-$40 regularly on ebay. Looking at the breakdown in the catalogue, I think this may have resulted from the fact that so many cards in one lot doesn't attract anyone except dealers looking for breakups. There was just too much stuff there for many collectors to bother with, especially with a $1,000 ($1,100) opening. Lot 282 was a junkfest with five decent cards and the rest just dreck (common British cards that no one collects, photos, etc.) that no advanced collector chasing the five main cards would want.