View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default What is the dope on Mike Wheat?

Posted By: leon

I have had one dealing with Mr. Wheat. I have never met him in person, or had any other dealings with him, so maybe mine is the anomoly. I bought a nm-nmt T205 Cobb on ebay from Norm Showers about 3 years ago. It was ungraded and was pristine. I was too new to the hobby to have seen the red flags on this type of card. The card did not meet reserve and I ended up making a deal, offline, for $3550.00. I originally told Norm I wasn't sending it in to be graded and he was very happy. We had numerous discussions about that. As the card was enroute I emailed Norm and told him I had changed my mind and was going to send it in immediately upon receipt. This was 4x more than I had ever paid for a card at the time and I wanted some assurance it was a good card. The card came back trimmed AND altered. Not one or the other but both. Norm and I worked out a swap for about 50 cards for the Cobby return to him. I still have most of all of those cards in my collection. He was pretty cool about the whole thing. About 3 months or so later I saw the card on Wheats website. It was the exact card folks. I remember it like because it is my belief that vintage cards are like fingerprints. IT has a small blemish on the otherwise perfect bottom border. It was absolutely unmistakable. Period. The card on his website was listed at about 3k. I emailed Mike and told him that I knew this card all too well and I was positive it was trimmed AND altered, according to PSA. He told me I didn't know anything and to mind my own business. The card remained on his site as far as I am aware......that's the real story on this one instance...and BTW, this story was all too familiar with one other board member whom also knows the whole history of the card.....caveat emptor and best regards