View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default thoughts on this grade?

Posted By: jay behrens

problems with this card; a diamond cut and no right boarder to speak of. To be generous, you can claim 90/10 centering becuase of the diamond cut, but even then, it shouldn't grade any better than 40 by SGc guidelines.

I geuss my basis for comparision is this card:

It has a slightly more pronounced diamond cut, corners that show the slightest wear and no problems with the back or any staining of any type.

I look at the cards I have had graded as a base. Either I had most of my cards graded really harsh, or others have caught SGC on a good day. I have one card that totally baffles me as to why it was downgraded so much. That, or SGC hates non-sports cards and automatically downgrades them a grade or two on principle :-p

This also points out why grading companies need to ahve a greater differntiation of grades at lower levels for vintage cards. Most modern cards ar NM/Mt and need the multiple grades in that area, but most vintage cards exist in the VG range, and much large seperation of grades is needed for vintage cards. This also bares out the point, buy the card, not the holder, as I doubt many here would say the N43 is the same grade as the Roosevelt.

Jay