View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Default Crap...gotta do something for a post

Posted By: jay behrens

I have been blessed to meet the right people everywhere I have lived in this great country and seen many incredible things in the hobby. 2 off the top of my head;

When I first moved to Sacramento, I was approached by a lady who had a a signed photo of Kid Nichols in street clothes. She said that her great grandmother dated him when he lived in Kansas City and played ball there. The back of the cabinet sized photo (about the size of a t3, maybe larger) had a beautiful inscription speaking about how much he loved her.

The lady was planning to sell it to me, but not sure if she had second thoughts about parting with family history, but I never heard from her again and did make a substantial offer for it.

The other stunning thing I've seen was going to a elderly gentaleman's place to see all the unopened packs he had from the 1930s. He actually had the boxes that went with most of them. Among the various packs were Delongs, Diamond Stars, Goudeys, Sports Kings (you could see a Diedrickson and Hubbel among other cards thru the wrappers) Tattoo Orbits and other cards I am forgetting. Absolutely amazing to see the amount of unopened material from the 1930s in one place. And he claimed to have had them since he was a kid. Man, no way I could have left any pack of cards unopened.

Jay