View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default AAA lands at Coach's Corner

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I was reading my latest edition of SCD and found that the odious AAA-graded cutouts have made their way into the Coach's Corner Sports Auctions, LLC auction for April 3-4. Item #708 is the following gem:

"1934 Quaker Oats Babe Ruth Card. This RARE card #26 is graded 8.5 NrMt.Mt+ by AAA and comes slabbed in their screw-down. This is a double-sided card that shows the Babe batting and fielding. These are very tough to find in this condition and are valued in the $500+ range. MB $40.00"

Let's go over what's wrong with this statement. First, what we have here is not a "card", it is a page from the Quaker Oats flip book. Second, the valuation is a complete fabrication. The Standard Catalogue lists the whole friggin' booklet as having a value of $300. Obviously, Coach's Corner either made up the valuation information or took the consignor's word for it with absolutely no independent verification of the item. Finally, any time something is valued at 12+ x its minimum bid, you know there is something funny going on.

I've never participated in the Coach's Corner auctions. I can safely state that I never will. YECCH!!