View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Set building experiences

Posted By: mrc32

I have spent the last 3 years or so working on a 1954 Topps set. I myself started out with a small budget, but over the years as I have made more I have been able to spend more.

I agree that the key is finding a good starter lot someplace(probably on ebay). That is how I started my 1954 topps set. I enjoyed the design very much, I had a 3 or 4 of the stars already and found a wonderful group of commons for a couple hundred bucks. Bang- I was off. I have also started a 1960 and 1970 topps sets.

But I've decided to put the 60 and 70 sets on the shelf for a while as I persue T-205s. These are MUCH more expensive, but I think more enjoyable. I have never been in this hobby to make money, but for the enjoyment. But I must say that it is much easier spending bigger money on cards that will hold thier value or even gain it over time like the T-205s.

So my suggestion, is pick something that is pleasing to both your eye and your wallet. Then look for a good starter lot and plunk down your money. Just be patient on the lots. Always look for quality!

Good luck and let us know what you decide...and early 20th century set or something in the 50s....