View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone ever heard of these??

Posted By: Jeff S

I referred to recent catalogs for two major baseball book dealers (W Greene and R Plapinger, for those of you keeping score).

Both have the Shapiro book priced at $200, each for a later printing. Greene's is a 1959 2nd printing described as "gorgeous." Oddly, Plapinger also offers a "later printing" dated 1958.

Here's what Plapinger has to say about the book: "Spahn sued Shapiro over this book, claiming it invaded his privacy since Shapiro wrote the book without Spahn's consent. According to [David Q.] Voigt, lower courts ruled in Spahn's favor, awarding him $10,000, but the Supreme Court reversed those rulings in 1976 allowing the careers of Shapiro, Schoor et. al., to flourish."

Neither catalog lists the Grayson book. Usually omission suggests a lack of interest or extreme rarity. (Both catalogs list over 1,000 items.) From your description, I'd assume that the book holds some interest. Comparable books, even fairly common ones in early printings, from the era can fetch at least $50 if they have some research value or pictures of the right guys. Could also be immensely rare...I don't know.