View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Default Leland Auctions- question for group

Posted By: James

I am a little upset with Lelands right now. Nothing too serious - but worthy of noting. The auction they just ran, which closed 12/6, included a pretty signifigant hoard (335) of T206s (lot 1721), which I had been interested in at the open. They also featured a graded Magie error card, and a few other T lots. Another lot they featured, lot 1713 - a group of 30 T206 HOFers, gave me concerns about bidding on lot 1721, though. The reason? Look for yourself. Make sure you enlarge the scan to see the cards closely:

http://www.lelands.com/auction/auctioneer.exe?SiteId=LELANDS&Item=1729

These cards all have either Piedmont or Sweet Caporal backs.

Is it just me, or is EVERY one of these cards trimmed? (and, not just a slight trim - these puppies have NO BORDER, for goodness sake!). If these had "Beauty" backs - I wouldn't even think twice about these. But, even though there are no "sharp" edges (all rounded), they seem VERY trimmed.

Anyway, I addressed some concerns I had aboutwhether these 30 were pulled from the original group that included the 300+ cards in lot 1721. My concern is, you never actually see the "bulk" of the lot until you receive it - only a few are depicted in the description. It is always the unseen evils that concern me the most.

I got no response, and thus, I did not bid. (Truth be known - the price went through the roof, so I would have avoided bidding anyway - but, still would have been nice to hear SOMETHING). Even if there is just SPECULATION the cards may be trimmed - or just "wicked short" as Adam Sandler would say - shouldn't that be noted in the description?

I did ask a few folks that have worked with Leland - the response - overwhelmingly that they pull these tricks frequently. I guess you really just need to keep your eyes wide open when bidding on their merchandise.

Just my thoughts.

Jim