View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default Stupid Buyers, Stupid Sellers?

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...and, even if you follow what he's saying, you can really only make your best guess at what a vintage card is worth.

Look how much some of the book/market values changed, jsut going from last year's to the current Lemke guide. Many big jumps in values/prices in some cards, others stayed the same. My Nadja has gone through the roof, and I think it'd still sell for way more than "book" if I put it up for auction.

From day to day, even the best, most experienced of us don't know what something is going to sell for. Hey...remember when "rockets-lover" showed up? We all though he won a lottery somewhere, and anything he bid on went for at least 50% more than it should have...

Put your item on eBay for a dollar, and if it helps you sleep at night, put a reserve on it. (Though, I almost never bid on reserve auctions myself). The market will determine what it's going to sell for.

The AAA crap is just that: crap. Toilet paper in lucite. It is basically dumb to buy that crap. I was "dumb" when I first came to eBay. One of my first purchases was a 19whatever Spaulding in a NASA holder. I knew nothing about it. But, boy-oh-boy the auction description made it sound like The Grail (deception and lies). I got "such a deal" on it at 6.99, plus shipping. I didn't know about the Board then. How did I find out? After I bought it (it wasn't a private auction) another eBayer sent me a message and told me. Never made that "dumb" mistake again...