View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default what's your favorite sleazy dealer excuse?

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I got a funny one once.

I had bought a 1940 Play Ball Matty from a guy. It looked great in the scan. He said it used to be in a PSA-7 holder, but felt it deserved an 8, so he cracked it out and sold it as was.

Well...I bought that story. I got the card and sent it in to PSA (which is the company he suggested) for grading/slabbing. Of course (as I should have predicted) it came back ungradeable as "trimmed".

I asked for a refund. He went into a tirade about PSA being lousy and unpredictable and inconsistent, etc. Initially, he refused. Then, he actually started to suggest that something must have happened to the card between the time I got it and I sent it to PSA. Well, that pissed me off. I would never alter a card, no matter what it's condition. I buy to collect, not to resell. So, I filed a police report for internet fraud (since he did initially guarantee the card, in writing, and guaranteed it would get at least a PSA 8 grade upon submission)...and, suddenly, we were able to come to a 100% refund agreement.

<laugh> The things people will do...