View Single Post
Old 10-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default SGC too generous?

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...it seems to me that, although the edges are shaky, I woudl guess that the overall grade is probably an accurate one, Jay, not to be argumentative...

I guess my question is this...

It seems that centering, surface condition and overall appearance of the card should have some bearing on its grade. The card presents well and the surface seems free or scratches, wear, discoloration and there appear to be no creases. Although the cut looks to have been done by someone with tremors, the top left and bottom right corners are not bad at all, barely touched, there isn't much wear to the card. I don't have a huge issue with a Grade 2 on this card.

Lately, I have had more and more of an issue with PSA and SGC -- they seem to be in a contest with each other about who can downgrade the most cards. I don't believe they they grade to their own standards. More and more, for cards recently graded, I'd swear that almost every one I see, the card is at a grade fully one grrade below where it should be, based on their own written categorical standards. None of the cards that either company has recently graded in my collection are consistent with the grades they have awarded to the same/similar cards just 3 or 4 years ago, or more. I am not interested in either of them being able to prove who is tougher; but who is more accurate and consistent is my concern.