View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Default best deal you've made

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've been at this so long (I bought my first table 25 years ago) that I won't even consider the deals that simply worked out well because of the growth in value of the cards. The best Deals (where I made out like a bandit immediately) I've made that I can recall were:

1. I bought a T206 error as a common and flipped it for enough to cover my entire purchases during a weekend card show.

2. I bought a bunch of really sharp 1952 and 1954 Topps cards and after slabbing them all flipped one card to get back my entire investment.

3. A Lew Lipset auction (believe it or not) where no one bid on a lot of PC backed exhibit cards. I offered the minimum the day after, he accepted, and I got a lot with a vg-ex Ruth, a good Gehrig, a vg Foxx and three others for $500.

4. I got a 1958 Bell Gino Cimoli short print as a "throw in" on a trade.

5. I won a lot of boxing cards in an auction that was described as a random assortment of T218, T220 and 1948 Leaf cards. Actually, it was a full set of each with extras, including rare variations on the boxing cards, and some very high grade T cards of stars. Best of all, one of the "Leaf" cards was actually a 1932 U.S. Caramel card.