View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default New Standard Catalogue of Baseball Cards: reactions?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

1) I like dogs, too.
2)Look at all those W600s!
3) When Lemke said the Catalogue would be one column wider, my heart sank--but it's only true of the new section. Goody.
4) of course the new cards are suffering the worst (Nomar rookie: $100>$55!), but there has been a drop in price of some of the old ones, too (Scrapps, Tobin Lithographs--hey, don't laugh!). And the ones that always go up have only gone up a little (most Old Judges--though a few have jumped), or stayed the same (S.F. Hess. Get yr near mint Ewing for $4000, just like a year ago). Why am I never offered a near mint American League Fan Crase HOFer for $190? Or a near mint Mayo Nichols for $3250 (or any other price...)? Anyway, the Catalogue seems to show that the recession has affected the card market, but the dealers I know don't.
5) Very nice job on the various backs and years of Diamond Stars; the '35 Goudeys are incredibly incomplete, as always.
Colgans: Oh well. One Step At A Time. Someday, Mr. Lemke will believe Larry Fritsch about there being no Lajoie or Jackson or Keeler or Cobb w name on uniform in the E-254 set, only the E-270 "tin tops"and/or Red Borders.
6) Hey, it's a a very useful new book, with new sets (including the Goodwin Round Album--get yr near mint John M. Ward for $1150...Hey. T.K, why did you want $2000 for my ex+ Mike King Kelly? Says here, it's only $1600 in near mint...ANYWAY, the round album is THERE, with all the players on all the pages).
7) and you really can't ask much more of a good Catalogue than increasingly good checklists, since the prices..about the prices, the less that's said.

"About my heart, the less that's said." Hoopla!