Thread: Posts
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Posts

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I have thought all along, Elliot, that this board was for the discussion of vintage cards, vintage card auctions, vintage card grading, vintage card grading companies, vintage card collecting, vintage card fraud/warnings to other members when vintage card fraud may be occurring, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, I have brought up issues involving fraud. Yes, I will continue to. I have been a victim of it on eBay and other areas more than once. I learned some things from those experiences, I want to learn more so it doesn't happen to me again. I also want to share my experiences and share my observations on this board so others do not follow the same fate(s) that I and others have.

What I do not expect is to ask simple questions and be personally attacked with personal insults in every thread, around every corner. It doesn't just happen to me, it happens to several others here.

This problem/issue is not about disagreement, arguments, or discussions. It is about the third-grade name calling (often times very foul and direspectful) which goes on. This has NOTHING to do with card collecting or having an adult conversation about a topic. It is about plain and simple meanness and the inability to show a shred of respect for other members of this board.

If I ask a question, and someone doesn't want to answer it, why can't he say: "I don't want to answer that, it's none of your business"... or simply just not respond.

...rather than "F*** off you f***ing ********" and go into all the stuff about a person's mother, their sexual orientation, swallowing fluids, and the usual tired tirade of completely outrageous personal attacks to follow? Why does a person need to constantly slam a personal attack into other people on this board? And, why does it need to somehow be "acceptable" here, when all we want to do is talk about cards and help each other out in this collecting universe? What does someone's mother or who they sleep with have anything to do with this Vintage Card Bulletin Board??

It isn't going to stop. These personal attacks will continue to appear, and then, once eveyone or almost everyone has already read them, you or someone might come by and delete them. Do you really think that does any good at that point?

It is your board, but the analogy that "the stinky, loud drunk guy in the bar, every night, is eventually going to keep people out of the restaurant" is certainly not an impossibility here...