View Single Post
Old 08-25-2002, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Set Registry -- opinions please

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

I've never really understood the whole point of a set registry, at least not from the point of view of the collector. To me it appears to be nothing more than ego gratification - "my set is better than yours", or "my set is the best!".

The problem of course is that you're limiting yourself to only cards graded by that particular company. Also, just because you have the best set of PSA graded cards for a particular issue... it's certainly possible that someone else out there has a set as nice or nicer that isn't graded and/or registered. In the case of PSA, all that you can say is "I've got the top condition set of all the cards from this issue graded by PSA". Big deal.

It's a great marketing ploy by PSA - it not only gets them more submissions (cards have to be graded by them to be "registered"), but also increases the prices on the secondary market for the higher condition graded cards which will also lead to more submissions.

While I don't really understand the appeal, I say that if it makes you happy then go for it. I'm certainly not going to tell anyone else how to collect. If you enjoy working on your registered set(s), more power to you.

Jeff Obermeyer
(not to be confused with the poster who goes by "jeff")