View Single Post
Old 08-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions on Sholess Joe...

Posted By: Dr.Koos

nonsense too. Under 250X magnification of just about the best scientific, computer automated scanning optical system and lighting that money can buy, the paper fibre patterns, the ink dot/matrix patterns and all the fine detail are IDENTCAL when this Jax card is directly compared to other VINTAGE E90-1 examples, both front and back. There is no evidence of splicing, trimming, or bleaching as well. AND like the Mantle, the card measures FULLY to catalog measurement specs with NO EVIDENCE of a stretch and a trim to maintain size, because the size of the portraiture is IDENTICAL across MULTIPLE, random, planes of it's dimensions when it was compared to a control E90-1 Jax in G/VG that I believe was later slabbed a 2 or 3 by PSA. This card is, as I bought it...already Pro slabbed and has NEVER appeared anywhere at auction described as a restored card. It's only sin is that it resides in a Pro Holder. A distinct factor in it's NOT being, or deserving to be a $30,000 card. I'm not defending Pro, just mentioning that this card does not have the Mantle's checkered "Mastro Auction described as restored past". That information, from the Mastro Auction, is the sole piece of concrete evidence casting doubt on the Mantle's state (and even there, it STILL hasn't been ascertained exactly WHAT was done, which NOW that a current value has been determined, I imagine will be the next step undertaken). As far as I know, there isn't solid evidence to back the Jax being restored other than the assumption that "all cards in Pro holders are fakes", which is akin to "all apples are BAD". Even though the CHANCES FAVOR an Expensive Vintage Pro encapsulated card being ALTERED (not necessarily fake or more properly in the case of Liberty for All (AAA, NASA)... dreamed up cards cut from magazine pictures and xeroxed) the ASSUMPTION that EVERY card is, in every case is inconclusive evidence. All someone would have to do to dispute your theorey is to turn up just ONE card that was slabbed at sometime by Pro that PSA or SGC WOULD pass, and your whole argument would sail right out the window.