View Single Post
Old 08-01-2002, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Default Auction Fraud Article

Posted By: benge610

I'm right there with you, Bob. I don't post frequently and quite often use this board for resource and "good reading" (used very loosely ... lately). I believe the honorable thing to do is to make every attempt possible at warning an unsuspecting bidder of a scam; and notify the auction service also. But speaking from personal experience, that is good enough. I didn't start in vintage collecting by blindly bidding on eBay crap hoping to strike it rich. I researched the hobby; located Mike and Jim's Fullcount board; talked to dealers at shows; focused on specific areas of interest and researched some more! I don't feel too sorry for unsuspecting schmucks, because in some ways they get what they deserve. I think the members here do an excellent job of warning those "unsuspectings" and that's good enough by me; it's too bad that newbies get a bad taste of the hobby by getting tangled up with scammers, but how gullible are they? and what are their real intentions when getting into the vintage market, anyway? Looking to strike it rich on a great deal or looking to really "get into" the vintage part of the hobby? Just my opinion, but really "getting into" the hobby for enjoyment and collecting REQUIRES an accumulation of knowledge before diving in. I've been mildly "burned", but honestly, if I had done a little more homework before bidding .....

Just some sporadic ramblings.

I say "Doc" vs. MW for the blathering championship of the world!

Ben.