View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default James! Is it raining in Boston????

Posted By: jverri01

Brian - I wish you WERE my big brother...I have a distinct feeling that very FEW people would EVER have the cojones to mess with me...knowing you were there waiting in the shadows. ; )

Actually, folks - I don't see this as criticism at all. Good constructive commentary.

I do use an HP scanner. However, I try very hard to keep "the little guy" in my thoughts. I look at it this way: most people viewing this listing have a P133 with a 1.6GB HDD, and view it over a phone line with a 28.8kbps modem. The last thing I want is for a potential bidder to have to wait twenty minutes for the image to appear. (they won't wait, which means I miss a potential opportunity).

This original scan is over 5.0 MB in size. It was scanned at 600 dpi and enhanced at 150%, no scaling.

A 5 MB file takes like, what - two hours to download on a 28.8 modem?

I used scaling to bring the image down to just over 1 MB. I find this to be a reasonable size for an image depicting so many cards. Anyway, when you reduce like that, it adds an element of fuzziness. Unavoidable, unless I had scanned it at that size initially.

As for the number of bids - actually, I am surprised to see any at all. I love these cards. Didn't really even want to say goodbye to them. So, I set the opening price high, and figured - probably won't sell (OK by me) - but, if they do - heck, that's money that goes right in to my daughter's college savings fund. Can't knock that.

I know, I know. You guys prefer SGC over PSA. Personally, I prefer unslabbed by any grading company. But - of the stuff I sell on Ebay - I tend to have it graded by PSA over SGC. I find (just my perspective) PSA graded cards still bring a little more than SGC graded cards. I am the first to admit that SGC has done a remarkable job of picking up market share in the past 2 years - and their customer service and turnaround exceeds PSA by light years - but, still, alot of bidders seem to marginally trust PSA over SGC with regard to respect of judgement. As for "straight grading", I personally think SGC tends to be a little more consistent - but, that is just a subjective observation.

OK, guys - you can start the bid war on the E103's now.

; )

James

BTW, Brian: send me your number again. I lost the voice message you left (it was one of over a hundred waiting for me when I returned back from travelling to my MIL's funeral). I'll call you at 4:30 a.m. your time. ; )