Thread: 'A' for honesty
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: jeff

MW,

I agree that this item is mis-listed, but let's be careful what we call "worthless."

After all, we all collect scraps of cardboard; sometimes actual scraps of paper, as David points out. Value depends on a lot of personal and social factors.

A related example: in the map collecting hobby (I don't collect that stuff, but I read a few articles a few months back), some hobbyists and historians are incensed that others are buying old atlases and cutting them up, selling individual pages as wall hangings and the like.

50 years ago, those scraps of paper were worthless. Now there is a market for them.

We should also be careful about how technical we get about proper listing in ebay categories. Scott has an e95 set in "singles:pre-1950." It's a set! Frequently, baseball collectors (including me) list boxing and football stuff in the baseball section. Cross-listing is a similar phenomenon.

I don't have a problem with that--I wouldn't find Scott's set if he didn't list it the way he did. But these common practices indicate that eBay's categories are understood by collectors as guidelines. And sellers of magazine clippings are probably right that they are likely to find more interested bidders in the singles:pre-50 category than in the "memorabilia" or "misc." sections.

Jeff