View Single Post
Old 04-03-2002, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Neilson's Chocolate Cards (V61)

Posted By: petecld

My 2 cents:

I think we have a tendency to apply 21st century thinking to the 19th century and in doing so say things like - Cabinet cards aren't really cards. That is how they were produced and distributed - so be it.

Cabinet cards should certainly be considered as long, as was previously mentioned, the cabinets weren't intended for personal use. If the intention was to distribute to the public as premiums or for promotion of a product or company - they were menat to be saved(read: collected) and that makes them cards indeed.

Nolan Ryans' rookie - Please, it's the 1968 Topps card. Team cards feature the whole TEAM, not any one player so it really isn't any players card. Before anyone asks - I feel the same goes for T200 cards. Calling a team card anyone's rookie is as silly as the guy selling the 1915 Cleveland ticket stub as a "Joe Jackson Ticket" just because he played for that team that year. It's a sad attempt to hype the price.

I do consider multi-player cards acceptable as rookies as they specifically feature and identify by name a certain player. Why should the fact that another player is featured equally change that.