View Single Post
Old 03-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default what's so special about this card-part 2 (non-vintage)

Posted By: Marc S.

Todd:

I certainly would suggest that when there is a set registry "Craze" going on, that it is often the best time to sell your low population commons. I know of one set registry where the #1 set builder will even purchase duplicate PSA 9's just to keep others from being able to get the card. Sort of silly, it seems.

As for #314 Dale Mitchell, I wish I knew. More than anything else, I would simply say that I just don't see the card. When I do see it, it is left to right (looking at the card horizontally). However, I just don't see the card that often.

I would generally say that cards #310 - #320 and #225 - #240 are two very difficult runs in the High Series. (#225 - #240 features nine cards with PSA 8 populations of five or less, including Birdie Tebbets with only 1 PSA 8). If I had to speculate, I would imagine that two things drive this a) sheet placement. I think that the ways these cards were cut may have had a significant impact on the beginning and ending rows on a sheet. Additionally, the rubber-band theory -- with kids beating up those cards near the beginning and ends of a series more than other cards. Cards #2 - #8 are also pretty tough to find in top grade.

No clue on why the Mitchell is harder to find than it scarce neighbors. I simply don't see the card. With two of the seven graded being qualified, I think it is safe to say that most are off-center. Even SGC has only mustered one graded copy, an 84. Just a very tough card. Don't know why! (Nor have I ever seen a sheet to further my theories).