Thread: 1928 Babe Ruth
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2002, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default 1928 Babe Ruth

Posted By: fkw

I have one of the blank backed cards (#4), and your right they are slightly different in design on the front, but I would say the card I have is definitely vintage (the #3 pictured below, has an "Ohio" back). Even Lipsets Encyclopedia Vol.2 (1984) notes the blank back cards exist, but he says that some collectors feel they are suspect, But I am not one of them. I rarely see the Geo. Ruth Candy cards, and when I do, I see about the same amount of the blank backed cards as I do the Ohio address back cards. If they were reprinted, they were done a long time ago, but I would also think Id see many more of them than I do, if that were the case. The clincher for me was about 2 years ago a seller had about 4-5 of the blank backed cards for auction on eBay, and he also had a wrapper from the candy too, I wrote him, and he said, they all came from the same source, the original owner. The cards I have never seen are the San Francisco address back ones. The wrapper picture (below) is from the auctions with the 4-5 blank backed cards. Frank