View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default Confused about grading vs. authenticating

Posted By: Lee Behrens

My way of thinking tells me that authenticating is just telling a person the product is original and that grading tells you that the product is original and a condition (or grade) is applied.

Some of the threads seems to have the topic that if the cards are authenticated that they are graded. These people seem to feel that just because a third party says a product is original and in a slab that there would be more shadyness in selling within the hobby. This is already going on, so why not set up a system for the people that are looking for third party information on a product. This is where the whole process of third party card grading came about, to me this is just an evolution of a third party confirming what the buyer and seller would like to know. ( That may have sounded akward but those are the best words I could come up with). Applying a grade to a card authenticated would be the same as a non-authenticated card, It's subject tot the buyers description and the buyers belief in the seller.

Am I wrong in this thinking?

Lee