View Single Post
Old 12-04-2001, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Default Banned In The USA, I Was Banned In The USA

Posted By: warshawlaw 

Well, got myself thrown out of the Lipset auctions. Seems I challenged his majesty's grading on a lot that I returned for material errors and he didn't like it (Lot 388: The Johnson, described as ex-mt, had two badly “dinged” corners, two worn corners, and edge damage on the left side. The Marquard, also described as ex-mt, had four worn corners and a mark across the front where something, probably a rubber band, left a stain. The McGraw, described as vg-ex, had four major creases across the top and a bottom corner crease. The Bresnahan, described as ex, had four rounded corners, stains on back and front, and a severe indentation on the front.).

I was so polite about it, too, not my usual lawyer self. . . I gave notice within minutes of signing for the UPS package and respectfully requested a refund. I sent back the card Fed Ex in the original packaging. A week later, I got a check with a note that said "Please do not bid again".

All I ever want is a fair shake. I'm pretty forgiving about grading in auctions--I figure that you will see a half-grade of "optimism" in most descriptions--but when I open the package and say *$%^#$^!! after I look at the cards. . .

What irks me is that I complied in full with Lipset's auction return policy, he refunded the money on the cards, and then he banned me from future auctions. The man is as unprofessional as he is knowledgeable. Customers do have differences of opinion with their vendors; speaking as one in the service industry, when it happens, you deal with it professionally, not like a little kid telling you that he is taking his ball home. When I had a similar grading issue with Fritsch on an expensive card I bought, my return was accepted cheerfully with a little note accompanying my refund that said they were sorry I disagreed with them and they would like to serve me in the future. That's how a professional handles a situation like this.

So, be forewarned, don't challenge Mr. Lipset's description of a lot, no matter how materially it differs from the actual cards you get, or you may be banned from his auctions.