View Single Post
Old 05-22-2024, 08:27 AM
TJ DH@rs°

Default Detecting Color Added on ‘71 Topps

i found a way if you are in a pinch after getting one of my cards sent back w/ the dreaded "color added" on the flip. i was given the card by a respected person of the hobby who (like me) didn't check it. oh well.

take a close-up picture of the card or use a scan. grab your fav mobile device photo editing app (or laptop app). i use photoshop express. open the images and use the "invert" filter. you will see imperfections immediately. i circles the areas on my 1971 ernie banks. on the 71s, black displays as "white" and green as "purple".

added ink will be a dark color as that doesn't invert. Stands out especially on the back edges / corners. still can't believe i didn't check before wasting money getting this graded. [emoji1751]

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazFenway08 View Post
I have some nice ‘71 star cards that I am considering having graded. Want to do some prelim work on them and looking for some advice on the best way to ascertain if they have had any color added

I don’t see any “bleeding” from the black fronts to the back where I assume sloppy “doctors” would make that mistake…at the edges, corners, etc. I don’t see anything odd under basic loupe magnification.

Will any alteration “fluoresce” even against the black borders and is that the most foolproof way of seeing if any funny business has occurred?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tjisonline; 05-22-2024 at 08:30 AM.