View Single Post
Old 05-15-2024, 04:21 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Ok, but we are actually discussing three different photos here. The first is the OP's wire-photo, which is not the same shot as was used on the card, as can be seen by looking closely at the positions of two players. Arms and legs are obviously in slightly different positions on the two photos. The third photo that Irv references by his link is another wire-photo from Dodger spring training, but is quite apparently not the same as either of the first two pics. This third pic was not even shot in the same ballyard, I think. The outfield fence here looks to be a ramshackle, part wire and part wooden slat job, with no ads appearing. Thus, the caption identifying the time, place and players has no real bearing on the first two photos. Since photo numbers one and two do not reveal the sliding player's uniform number, it is still not certain that he is in fact George Shuba - probably, but not for sure.
Definitely subtle differences between photos #1 and #2. Did hi-speed photography exist when the photos were made? If so, then the two photos could have come from the same exact shot, same leap, split-seconds apart. I don't know. Photo #3 looks nothing like #1 and #2. As you say, the fence is totally wrong. Could be the angle, if you look at second base, but I just don't think so. I admit, I looked at #3 to assume the man on the ground is Shuba, assuming all 3 came from the same shoot.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***