View Single Post
Old 05-10-2024, 07:03 AM
Michael

[QUOTE=JollyElm;2432913]Allow me, if I may...

Taking the pic of the blue and black stickers from Post #6 in this thread, I laid one atop the other (since the source is a photograph and not a scan where both participants would truly be flat, plus one is inside of a slab, it's not a perfect comparison, but it's pretty damn close) and the black version has a more fuller (read as wider) picture of Mays than the significantly thinner-faced blue Willie.

And, as mentioned, the point of the neck differs as well. In blue Willie, it seems the art department (purposely or 'accidentally') ended up creating some white space for the top of the 'E.'
Additionally, it could be from the usual vagaries of the printing of the black plate, but his name is much further away from "GIANTS" in the blue version than the black. (Of course, along with the slight misalignment of the name/team name, it's possible this resulted from the printing of the red plate alone.)

We'd have to know if these differences consistently appear on other versions of these stickers to verify it, but, gentlemen, it appears what you got yourselves here is a VARIATION.

The differences are pretty evident when the stickers are placed side by side...

Well done Darren