View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 07:46 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default The Future of Type I Photos

I don't know if this has come up before, but here goes.

We all know that a new, major buying trend in recent years has been in vintage Type I photos. I resisted (though have large collection of M101-2, as I am a photog myself) until the past week when I won a Ruth and a Mays.

But here is what I am wondering. Of course, rarity/scarcity has been a big deal for a long time. But the top players always draw much value even when dozens, hundreds, even thousands of a particular card or issue exist.

Yet, in many cases, Type I photos can be one of a kind or at least very few of a kind, with little chance that more will surface. PSA authenticates and presents them nicely in jumbo holders and the images are usually great--and in large size, and god bless them, usually without "centering" issues. Sometimes they were taken by the most famous baseball photogs.

Anyway: As much as many of these have surged in value, shouldn't they actually go much higher in the future--due to the scarcity thing? Or even comparing similar images and size: Just for example, why should a Ruth Butterfinger or Ruth Quaker Oats, of which there are at least dozens, be worth more than a nice, similar, but nothing special Type I Ruth which might be one or three of a kind? Or pick your own examples of photo vs. card. Why should a Gehrig Goudey, almost too numerous to count, be worth more than a Type I Gehrig with a unique or nearly unique large image? Well, you get the idea.

Last edited by GregMitch34; 05-07-2024 at 07:55 PM.