View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 05:24 AM
Cesar

Saludos Rolando, I have been researching these postcards for some time. I first saw the three examples that Rhett posted when they first appeared in auction. I found it interesting that all three had the punched hole. I am including a photo of the Marsans postcard also with the punch hole. In his excellent book "Exhibit and Related Sports Arcade Cards," Adam S. Warshaw, listed a set identified as the "1922 Baseball Postcards" that pictured an example of a postcard with the same style back as the one you have pictured above and also the punched hole. Mr. Warshaw describes these as frequently confused with the "1922 Eastern Exhibit" set, since they used the same player photos and similar postcard backs, but not being Exhibit cards at all only postcards.

Mr. Warshaw explains that the Eastern Exhibit Supply Company of Philadelphia got sued by the Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago, the original makers of Exhibit cards, for infringement on their rights and name and lost. The Exhibit Supply Company then takes over their remaining inventory.

It is possible that the makers of the "1922 Baseball Postcards" were somehow related to the makers of the "1922 Eastern Exhibit" set and also made the Cuban examples to be sold to the Cuban market. In making the Cuban subset they used available photos including the two Mendelsohn photos for Mike Gonzalez and Armando Marsans. This last part is only speculation on my part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 Baseball Postcards Marsans.JPG (23.0 KB, 150 views)