View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
As for an ACC designation, as there as basically only a single card in two colors I can only assume it seemed pointless to catalogue a single card. The WG designation is a newer usage in the hobby as Burdick originally meant it for use for greeting cards and game cards were added.

As for the single subject again I can only make an assumption that Parker Brothers wanted just to contract a single subject. The box itself has no reference at all to Lajoie, nor the rules or other material.I personally have assumed that it was more a design feature to add Lajoie than to even use his name for sales. Why would you otherwise omit any reference at all including his name if he was to be a central part? The purchaser would have never even known Nap was on the cards until they were opened.

Again, I have seen no additional evidence as to advertising material for the game which if Nap was featured may lend more credibility that he really was central to sales. So these are just my thoughts on it over the years.

Great information and theories. The set is believed to be 50 for each the Red and Blue versions, with the side opposite the Lajoie image containing what I assume is 50 different 'game' results. Perhaps Burdick drew the line at cataloguing single subject game cards, because of the similarity to a regular deck of cards. All the baseball themed sets he did catalog all contained multiple subjects - National Game, Polo Ground, S & S, etc.

Brian (and for your enjoyment, lesser condition dumpster cards)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lajoiegamecardsred.jpg (76.2 KB, 50 views)