View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 12:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Looks like Harmon hit .239 with men on base and .233 with runners in scoring position that year. He hit 27 solo HR's, no Grand Slams and 4 3-run HR's.

Don't know if any of that is typical or not, but looks weaker then most of his other good years. His efficiency and clutch stats were pretty weak in 1963 compared to most of his other seasons, for whatever reason. Most statisticians would probably say it's just a random anomaly.

Biggest reason he's likely on this list, I noticed he also missed like 20 games that season. He plays 10-15 more games or so, he's not mentioned in this thread...clutch hitting or not.

Harmon never hit 50 HR's, but he came soooo close a bunch of times, mostly during pitching dominant years. His Home/Road splits are nearly identical to....so it wasn't home cooking for him.

I’m sure it was just bad luck, but it’s a lot of bad luck to be in competition for this distinction while playing on a team that was 1/2 in the league in getting on base and setting up opportunities to score. Kiner is the kind of guy I would expect, a really good long ball hitter but who played on a team that was offensively dead aside from him.

If Killebrew played in any other era than the 60’s that held down batting averages so much, he would get a lot more respect. That .256 really holds down how he is seen, I think. I love picking up him, McCovey, the B tier of HOF superstars of that period that are so, so much less than the Aaron/Mays/Mantle tier.