View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 08:57 AM
Al

Default Closing Tonight - Love of the Game Auctions' Spring Premier Auction

Hi All:

Just a quick reminder that LOTG's spring auction closes tonight. Extended bidding begins at 9pm eastern time.

A couple of things I wanted to point out, just because we like them so much:

The Babe Ruth and Ted Williams bats are both great pieces; picking the Ruth bat up at the Babe Ruth Museum and getting a private tour were highlights of this auction for me (and you should check it out if you'r'e ever in Baltimore - it's a small, but cool, museum)

As a Casey Stengel collector, I love this Famous & Barr rookie card, the highest-graded by SGC.

I mentioned this on Instagram, but this 1954 Milwaukee Braves vs. Atlanta Crackers official program is historically significant, IMO, not just because it's one of the earliest programs you'll find of Hank Aaron in the major leagues (and maybe THE earliest, from March of 1954), but because of Nat Peeples. Peeples was the first and only African-American player to make a Southern Association roster; he was with the Crackers for two games before being sent down, "because he had trouble with the curve ball" (after 7 regular season at bats, after hitting .330 with 6 HR in spring training). Peeples has an important story.

And of course, the glass lantern slides are fantastic, and include a never-before-seen image of Shoeless Joe Jackson sliding into home. I realize that glass lantern slides are tough to display, so we had each of them professionally imaged and then produced 8x10" archival prints of each slide for the winning bidders.

If you're interested, visit https://bid.loveofthegameauctions.com/Lots/Gallery to check out the auction. Lots of super rare type cards as well!

Good luck to the bidders and consignors!

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 03-30-2024 at 08:57 AM.