View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 11:24 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of 52T cards are perfectly centered?

My recollection based on your past studies is that the percentage is incredibly small. Like a tiny fraction of a percent. And I've got to imagine an even smaller fraction currently resides in SGC holders.

Based on those estimates, it seems like your hypothetical fact pattern is unlikely to occur more than once in a blue moon.

But it's definitely a fun thought exercise!
It depends on which print run you're looking at. For example, the 3rd series cards with the cream backs are much tougher to find centered than series 1. For Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle, there are only about 25 or so copies with 52/48 or better centering on all of VCP in grades 3 or higher (and only 9 50/50 Jackies).

Other sets are less affected, but in general, I find that most sets fall somewhere between 1 to 5% of cards being centered.

If you were to ask how often a centered 52 Mantle shows up in an SGC holder next to an OC Mantle in the same grade in a PSA holder in the same auction, the answer is "not very often". But if you expand that to ask how often any key vintage HOF card shows up centered in an SGC holder in any grade next to an OC copy in a PSA holder with the same grade in the same auction, a fair answer is "at least somewhat regularly".