View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 09:40 PM
Val Kehl

Fred, yes, I am a CPA, but my certificate has not been active/current since I retired in 2007. I probably am a rare CPA in that I have never done income tax returns for anyone (or any company) other than myself and my family members. FYI, the two major chunks of my career (16+ years each) were spent with the USA subsidiary of a British company where I was mostly involved in contract administration and with the finance department a large county government (which doesn't pay income taxes). However, I do know enough about income taxes "to be dangerous."

With respect to the cards I've sold that I got out of wax packs as a kid, while my cost of these cards was zero, I did have some costs to offset against what the cards sold for, such as TPG grading fees and eBay selling fees. The profit on collectibles sales (total sales $$ minus total costs $$) becomes part of one's federal taxable income, and this amount could be enough to put one in a higher incremental federal tax bracket. Here's a link to the federal tax brackets for 2023: https://www.irs.gov/filing/federal-i...other%20filers

You asked, "how does state tax work on that?" I believe state income taxation varies considerably. Having lived in VA my entire life, I am not familiar with other states. In VA, one pays the same income tax rate on the profit on collectibles sales as one does on other types of income.

Fred, I hope I have adequately responded to your questions, except for those you raised related to selling cards as a dealer, which I don't feel I have enough expertise to answer.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.