View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 11:14 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I've thought, read and talked a lot about it. Here are my current opinions:

1) I think Collectors primary motivation here was defensive. To take away the opportunity from Fanatics to buy SGC which would have almost doubled their market share to 17% and growing. SGC I think was growing fast, with Fanatics $ behind them could have done some damage to PSA's 78%. PSA is already owns 78% of the market, I don't see that additonal 7% as a big deal to them on its own.
2) So they own it, now what. If they fold SGC, they lose $$ (the money they just invested) and market share (there are many loyal SGC customers who would not submit to PSA). If they invest in it and grow it, they have an incredible opportunity to make more $$ and grow total market share. In fact I think it will be considerably easier for them keeping both companies running independently, to grow SGC business than PSA business! It makes A LOT of business sense to run both companies and is counter intuitive from a business perspective to find SGC.
3) I don't see them changing crossover standards either - if they started accepting SGC grades = PSA grades, it dilutes the value of the PSA cards/brand.
4) I could see a consolidation of SG & A to run the company leaner. I could also see some pricing changes.
5) I could see PSA set registry technology shared to bring back an SGC set registry - creating greater competition between the 2 companies! Which serves to benefit the parent company.

The more I think about it, the more keeping the companies operating and competing independently makes a lot of business sense!

I am still uncomfortable and as a collector and dealer am fearful of some of the "what ifs", but logic tells me the fear is really just that fear (of change). Time of course will tell. I'll be hoping for the best.
Well said and well reasoned Howard. I pretty much agree with all of this.