View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 01:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I live not too far from the Probstein mothership and a few years back bought an expensive Type 1 photo from him. I asked if I could just pick it up and he said sure; gave me an address like 3 miles from my home. When I got there it was the most non-descript generic industrial park I'd have ever seen. Like people had paper signs taped to their door for the mailman. His office had some little sign that said Probstein Enterprises or something. Presumably this was his shipping hub. I rang the bell a few times and eventually I was greeted by a friendly Mexican or Central American girl, maybe 20 years old, who made clear to me quickly that she didn't speak a word of English. Finally I got "Gehrig photograph" across and she left and came back and handed me the photo with a post in on it. All worked out well but was certainly a hell of a weird experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Those are some big numbers. Based on what I see on eBay, I wouldn't have expected that he was hitting $100M+ in top line sales per year, but what do I know?

Obviously he's top dog now that PWCC is no longer on eBay. I suspect they were topping him by a large multiple every year. Now that they're out of the picture, Rick is kind of the last man standing.

And it's nice to hear that he's moving away from the BIN format, to more of a reverse auction or dutch auction format. I suspect that means stuff will move faster, although he may have some consignors that don't want to use that format.

If I'm being honest, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he has minimum wage noobs doing most of the work, with the level of volume that he has. Just seems like a recipe for stuff to disappear under mysterious circumstances. But hopefully he has robust controls in place to prevent those sort of shenanigans.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-01-2024 at 06:39 PM.