View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 01:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Personally, I have no concerns on most cards I collect. SGC is a very reputable company and their grade and slabs stand scrutiny in the marketplace, unlike GAI or PRO. They are being acquired, not going out of business like GAI or PRO. And, they are being acquired by PSA, "The King of grading". I think there is an argument that SGC flips may get a bump as a result of their being acquired, and becoming part of PSA. I wont buy SGC hoping that becomes the case, but I currently have no concern whatsoever with SGC slabs.

From Jeff L: "Dave doesn’t work in the Peace Corps, he runs a business and has a family. And there have been plenty of times he could have sold SGC but didn’t because he didn’t want to leave SGC customers holding the bag. He felt comfortable this time because SGC will largely remain SGC but with improvements that only Collectors can provide. It’s human nature to presume the worst, and some trepidation is understandable. But I don’t believe the sky is falling, I think SGC will become a better version of itself"

Well said Jeff, I agree with you 1000%. Mazel to Dave, who held out for years looking for an option that would not leave "SGC customers holding the bag". Another reason I believe this deal will be fine for SGC customers and collectors.
I agree. My personal take is that SGC would be a useful brand to add to the Collectors omniverse because it grades lots of stuff that PSA does not. Why not capture that revenue under the PSA roof, especially when it can be integrated into the Goldin auction flow and the PSA vault? Best of all, PSA can offer SGC registry participants a discounted opportunity to cross to the PSA registry; in effect, make the customers pay to transfer the pop from SGC to PSA. It is similar to what Fanatics did in 2021, when it effectively created that sort of flow by picking up PWCC (it already has director and investor overlap with CCG: Michael Rubin, founder and executive chairman of Fanatics, is part of the group that acquired CGC in 2021).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-29-2024 at 01:40 PM.