View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 03:03 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Apologies for bringing up a slightly older thread, but I had a question about the 68 Atlantic Oils and was hoping someone could help.

If you've ready this thread you know these cards come with the two different backs. I call them the Rules Back and the Play Ball Back. And that there are 10 SSPs leaving a reasonable complete set at 40 cards. With the two different back variations, that brings us to 80 for a complete set (plus the Special Gift Award card makes 81). But there is another variation in this set. The black font and grey font variations.

My question is, does anyone know for sure if all 80 cards come with both a black font and grey font variation making the total for a complete set 161 cards?

If nobody knows for sure, I would be happy to do a survey of our cards to try to compile a list of confirmed variations to see if we can verify all of these.

Thanks all,

Andrew

Andrew,

I collect Orioles and can confirm that Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson and Boog Powell all have black and gray variations.

However, my Boog Powell (Playball back) cards have different photo croppings. My Powell with the black font has more sky showing over his head than my gray font card. The name placement is also different. I haven't been able to find a gray font Powell with more sky or a black font Powell with less sky, so not sure if they exist. Both of my Powells (Rules back) are the more sky variation.

Hope this helps some.

Boog Powell (Playball back) variations

1968 Atlantic Oil Play Ball Game #2 - Copy.JPG