View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 03:22 PM

Well said, Michael. What a great event.

I'll add my thanks to Andrew and Ryan for organizing it and to Val and Steve for the dinner. It was an awesome time. Also, thanks to Howard C for helping me with my setup and to Hank T for signing his fantastic book for me.

A couple of my observations:

1. While folks certainly did some deals, I didn't witness or hear about any sales pressure, arguments over comps or any other "side eye" exchanges that often occur at shows. All the discussions I saw were the kinds you see between friends. Great atmosphere.

2. I learned a lot. Learned about back run details I didn't understand before. Learned about card variations I had never appreciated. Learned about some dealer and auction house policies. I even learned about at least two cards from sets I care about that I didn't know existed.

3. I got reminded. Reminded that there is an absolute truckload of passion and knowledge in this hobby and that the older collectors probably already know everything you think you've figured out. But they still will let you explain it before they add that one tidbit that shows they know a little bit more than you!

4. I spent most of the day set up next to a much younger collector with a very specific pre war focus centered on players from his city. Talking with him about his collection I couldn't help but receive a shot of enthusiasm about card collecting.

5. We held bats from the 1800s and early 1900s all day. I maintain that I could have hit Mathewson or Grover Cleveland Alexander armed with one of those beauties.