View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 05:33 PM

Default 1940 Oversized Mystery Set!!!

Good evening! I'm hoping to get help with identifying the origin of some examples from a set I purchased about 15 years ago on eBay and just found again recently in my collection. At the time of purchase, the seller did not know the origin. I have a total of 7 examples that appear to come from the same set, although there are 2 different sizes. I have 3 that are roughly 8 3/4 inches by 5 3/8 inches: Dizzy Dean, Jimmie Foxx and Johnny Mize. The other 4 are roughly 9 1/8 inches by 5 3/8 inches: Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg, Joe Medwick and Ted Williams. I say "roughly" in each case because there is some variation in size. All are printed on fairly heavy white stock in B&W with 2 photos of the player on the front along with his name, nickname in some cases and facsimile signature. On the back, all have biographical information plus statistics through the 1940 season along with other statistics from World Series and/or All-Star game appearances. With the exception of the Foxx card, all are stamped in black with "Printed 1940" on the back. Attached are front and back photos for the Dean and Williams cards. I appreciate any assistance you can provide with identifying this set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dizzy Dean Front.jpg (198.3 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg Dizzy Dean Back.jpg (203.4 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg Ted Williams Front.jpg (195.8 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg Ted Williams Back.jpg (197.5 KB, 617 views)